Friday, February 24, 2012

The Wounded Healer (Part 2)

When a soldier is hurt in battle, the first thing doctors and nurses do is to place the affected area in a cast, bandage the wound, or place you in a bed to immobilize you and allow the body to heal. Whatever the wound, the first thing to do is keep you from moving.

As I began to ponder about this analogy, I received a revelation about wounded Christians. Many times, we feel our wound immobilizes us when in fact it helps provide us with stability. Think about it for a second. During times of hurt, we tend to either (a) keep the problem to ourselves or (b) seek God's help. If we keep the problem to ourselves, we have allowed the wound to immobilize us. That is we have placed a "cast" over our Spirit. However, if we seek God's help, we have asked Him to provide stable healing in our Spirit despite the cast being there.

Therefore, the first step to serve God despite our wounds is to work towards developing a stable spirit. But how can we develop spiritual stability? We will talk a bit more about this in the next blog. While you ponder about this, think about trying to answer this question: "Has there ever been a time in your life where you have had no control over your situation?"

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing and so true, I use to bottle things up inside because I felt no one would understand me. Once I started to pay more attention to my relationship with God I realized He is my best friend and wants to listen to me and talk with me. It has been a very liberating experience once I learned that I have a more than special friend there that wants to help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a time when I had no control over a situation. It is a terrbile feeling. You feel so helpless that you don't know what to do. And at those times you just realize sometimes things are just to big for you and you have to just pray and let God take action. Great Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that the wounded experiences in our lives are usually defining moments for us. We tend to allow the gravity of the circumstance become a distraction that keeps us from seeing the whole picture. Pain in life is inevitable but misery is a choice! Casts become itchy and irritating despite being for our good and well being. Our immobilization is meant to be preparation for a new situation. So don't look down on the moment you are in right now! It has a purpose!!!! ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete